September 29, 2010

Cranberry Sauce

So I looked absolutely everywhere for fresh cranberries, and although it’s approaching October, absolutely no one had it! I went to two different grocery stores, one farmer’s market, and called the people on the inside at Granville Island and nope. They were no where in sight! Until, alas! Kin’s Farm Market saves the day with a shipment that came in today with fresh cranberries! Yay!!

So. This is a recipe that I think I picked up from my best friend’s mom… I might have derived it from somewhere else… nevertheless, this is the way I’ve been making cranberry sauce for years, so it must be good! I really like the orange zest and juice in it that adds to the tang of the cranberries and brings out the sweetness in the sauce. (I add a couple tablespoons of sugar too, just to help it out.)
Final Product:
IMG_4338
IMG_4308
Ingredients:
1 bag (3 cups) Fresh Cranberries
Zest and Juice of one Orange
1-2 Cinnamon Sticks
1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom (optional)
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves (optional)
Zest and Juice of 1/2 Lime (or lemon)
1/4 cup Agave Syrup
3 Tbsp Sugar
1/3 cup Water
1. Heat a pot to medium high heat. Pour in cranberries, zest and juice one orange. Stir.
IMG_4310 IMG_4316 IMG_4318 IMG_4319 IMG_4320 IMG_4322
2. Add cinnamon sticks. Add zest and juice of 1/2 lime
IMG_4323 IMG_4324 IMG_4327
3. Add water and stir making sure the bottom is scraped clean.
IMG_4328
4. Add ground cardamom and cloves.
IMG_4330 IMG_4331
5. Add agave syrup and sugar. The reason why I added both agave and sugar is to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe by balancing it out with natural sugar sources. Yes I could have used all agave, but it would have become too runny. 3 Tbsp of sugar is better than 1 cup in most other recipes!
IMG_4333 IMG_4334
Simmer on low until all cranberries have popped. Taste it and adjust the sugar if you want it more sugary. Serve with turkey, chicken, in sandwiches or use in pie!
 IMG_4339

No comments:

Post a Comment