September 10, 2010

Quinoa Banana Almond Bread


I have been on a cleanse for the last 3 weeks where I am not eating any wheat, meat, dairy (except yogurt), alcohol, caffeine, and sugar... What I CAN eat is anything else which includes fish, so I've been eating a lot of black cod, wild pacific salmon, vegetables, grains, beans, and fruit. What I truly missed though, was sugar. Not that I can't have sweet things, because I still eat sweet fruit like nectarines, but I mean I missed sugar in baked goods. I discovered the wonderous gift that is agave nectar, and how it is 2x as sweet as sugar! I have used it in a number of recipes and it satisfies the sweetness that I crave. 

This recipe was found while I researched what I could eat based on my detox. I found it on "A Gluten Free Day" blog and I changed a few things after experimenting. I like this recipe because it's gluten free and the ground almonds add a nice texture and nutty flavour to the loaf. My mom likes this a lot, as she has asked me to bake it for her once a week so far. She's diabetic, so it's good for her, and it's delicious for me.  





1. Heat oven to 350 F
2. Grease bread pan and line with wax paper or parchment
3. Mix wet ingredients together
4. Mix dry ingredients together
5. Combine wet and dry without over mixing, add brown rice flour if the batter isn't thick enough.
6. Pour into prepared pan and arrange pecans and sprinkle maple syrup or raw sugar on top
7. Bake for approximately one hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


Variation: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries instead of banana to make it a blueberry loaf! Omit the pecans.

Gluten-free Banana Bread on Foodista

1 comment: