September 30, 2010

Granville Island Pie Contest!

IMG_4357
Today was the first annual Granville Island Pie contest, and if you have seen my post for Cranberry Pear Apple Pie with Parmesan Crust you will probably be all caught up on how I made a test pie a few days before, ran around everywhere looking for fresh cranberries, and discovered and tweaked a recipe for Vodka Pie Dough. Well? All my hard work paid off! I won 1st place at the Farmer’s market today, and it was quite the race!

First off, I didn’t think I would make it there on time (oh everyone in architecture runs everything to the last second) because I put the pie in the oven at 9:20am and I had to catch the 10:30 bus! (I might have pressed the snooze button a couple times) I live in the northern suburbs of Vancouver and it takes a good hour to get to the market. Thankfully, luck and the convection oven was on my side because I was able to pull the pie out of the oven at 10:15 and with 5 minutes to spare, snapped a few pictures, put it in a basket and tote bag and off I went. I briskly walked to the bus stop, managed to catch the bus and there I sat, with a steaming hot pie right out of the oven as my fellow passengers wondered where the smell was coming from.
IMG_4368IMG_4371   
IMG_4378
After waiting for the bus, sitting with it beside me for safety, I made it to my connection point where I had to catch another bus. I had just missed the bus and got on a different one, when lo and behold, my best friend’s parents were on the bus with me! It’s been quite a while since I saw them so it was a very pleasant surprise! I made it to the farmer’s market with 5 minutes to spare to 12 noon and I successfully submitted the pie on time!
IMG_4391 IMG_4380
There were 10 pies entered into the contest in total, and it was tough. There was a pumpkin chiffon pie, a caramel apple pie, lemon and buttermilk, apple rhubarb, and a few other really creative ones. How was I to compete?
IMG_4382
IMG_4386
IMG_4383
IMG_4389
Oh the suspense! The judges went from one end of the table to the other (mine was last) and they tasted the pies one at a time, carried around a clipboard to record scores and oh man was it nerve racking. I strained to hear their conversation and questioned myself when I heard them exclaim, “mmmm”s or “ooo that one’s good” at so many of the different pies!
IMG_4393
I was happy there were so many participants and a lot of people that came down to witness it. It was a beautiful, crisp, sunny day at Granville Island, a perfect day to host the first ever pie contest at Granville Island.
IMG_4394
The trophies and goodie bags to be won.
IMG_4401
Chef Ann’s tasting my pie! I faintly hear, oh this one is verrrrrry good from her and oh I get excited! She has a stand at the farmer’s market called Cranberry & Onion, and I guess I picked the right ingredient to put in my pie as she likes cranberries!
IMG_4404
My mom came out from work for moral support.
IMG_4405
Counting up the scores!
IMG_4407
People are all milling about waiting to hear the results!
IMG_4409
My pie tied for 1st place with the Pumpkin Chiffon Pie!!!
IMG_4411
The coordinators were nice enough to save me some. I hadn’t even tasted my final pie yet! So all this effort and what did I get in my loot bag??? Oh man, I think I’ll do this again next year! I got so much stuff!
IMG_4416
I got 2 cookbooks, a set of hand painted cards, an locally grown artichoke, local celery from the farmer’s market, a pot of Nicola Valley Gourmet Honey in a beautiful handmade clay pot, balsamic jelly, A potted Winter Pansy, A Terra Breads gift certificate for 25 dollars, Terra Bread’s Pecan Fruit Crisps, and 2 tote bags! Not to mention my lovely trophy and ribbon.
IMG_4418IMG_4421 IMG_4419  IMG_4422
IMG_4423
IMG_4424IMG_4428
 IMG_4425 IMG_4427
IMG_4429
How fitting! A cranberry inspired tote bag! Thank you Granville Island for putting on a great pie contest! Now, what will I bake next year?

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic Kayeon. I saw and smelled it yesterday when you came by and smelled amazing. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...cant believe I am missing out on having a sample of this #1 pie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the win! The pie was amazing and so creative! Good Job :) I think I'll be spending a lot of time perusing your blog!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! I'm glad you like my blog Nicole, I hope you can get some new ideas from it. :)

    ReplyDelete