October 26, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes

So this is a recipe I adapted from a few trial and errors of vegan recipes that I found online for the Shadow Machine Gala. The original recipes I found were very poorly written with 1 1/4 cups of this and 1/3 cup of that and 3/4 tsp of something else. What’s with all these obscure measurements? It’s like saying something is 38 inches long when you could say 3’ 2” or saying measure out 6 mL of this and 255 ml of that. WHY!!! So I basically developed a fool proof recipe that is really quite easy. It goes something like this.

Note: You can put any kind of icing on these cupcakes such as chocolate ganache or butter cream. I wanted to keep this strictly vegan, so I made it with Chocolate Vegan “Butter Cream” Icing and some toasted coconut shavings. This recipe makes around 36 small cupcakes.
IMG_6750 IMG_6930
IMG_6677
Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 can of Vegetable oil (or 1 cup)
  • 2 tsp Vanilla
  • 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 cup All Purpose White Flour
  • 1 cup Cake/ Pastry Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 cup Pure Dark Cocoa (good quality)
  • 2 cups White Sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
1. Mix wet ingredients. In a medium sized bowl, add coconut milk, vegetable oil (fill up half the can because who wants to do more dishes?), vanilla and apple cider vinegar. Stir.
IMG_6696 IMG_6698 IMG_6700 IMG_6701IMG_6617 IMG_6702
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. 1 cup of each kind of flour, baking soda, good quality pure dark cocoa, sugar and salt. Mix it together with a spatula.
IMG_6678 IMG_6679IMG_6680 IMG_6682IMG_6681 IMG_6616 IMG_6683 IMG_6703
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer on high until the batter comes out thick but smooth.
 IMG_6705IMG_6707 IMG_6708 IMG_6712
4. Using an ice cream scoop and a measuring cup to catch the drips, spoon out enough batter to fill 3/4 of the way full in the paper lined muffin/cupcake trays.
IMG_6718 IMG_6719
5. Put the cupcakes into the oven at 350 degrees F for approximately 20-30 minutes (depends on how hot your oven is and whether or not you have a convection oven.) Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and when you poke the tops of the cupcakes, the top bounces back.
IMG_6721 IMG_6723 IMG_6724
6. Brush on some coconut infused simple syrup to keep the cupcakes moist. Ice with Vegan “Buttercream” or chocolate ganache or any other topping you would like.
IMG_6740  IMG_6745IMG_6864 IMG_6325
Note: Why it’s important to use good quality cocoa. Compare the difference (I ran out and had to use just no name brand cocoa that was in the pantry)
IMG_6748 
IMG_6929

2 comments:

  1. One of your vegan chocolate coconut cupcakes found its way into my life through my UBC roommate, Bernhard. I'm a vegan and also a bit of a foodie and wasn't quite sure if I'd like it, but I did! The texture was more fudgy than a what I'd expect from a cupcake. That could be due to the lag from when it was made and when it hit my palate. But it works! It had a rich, decadent taste to it.

    The only thing that I'd change is the name that came on the card with it. It said "Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes". Putting the word "Vegan" right at the beginning makes it sound like it's a compromise, when it's not. It's anything *but* a compromise. For a vegan like me, that name will work, but for everyone else, how about "Decadent Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes (Dairy & Egg free)"?

    In any case, thank you so much for that treat! I look forward more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael! That's awesome to hear that you liked them! You know what? The batch that you came across was the "failed batch" where I had accidentally forgot to add baking soda. That's why it was so fudgy and not as cakey and it should have been.

    I was making a hundred of these cupcakes and had to make them in lots of smaller batches (I don't have a mixing bowl that big) and I sent these "failed cupcakes" off with my sister to take to her chemistry lab and she gave a few to Bernhard and I guess he passed it on. :)

    I guess I'll leave out the baking soda next time I want fudge vegan brownie cupcakes.

    I'm not sure I have a problem with the name per se... I don't regard Vegan-ism as anything that needs compromising, because I guess everything Vegan I've ever had was delicious! I might just be lucky though because I have bakers for friends, and there's also an awesome chocolate cookie that I've come across made out of ground almonds that are to die for.

    If I ever make anything else that's vegan, I'll send it off with my sister again, and hopefully it'll make its way to you! I have a few vegan recipes on here as well, and I'm always looking for more... some recipes can be made vegan too and it tastes just as good. Email me at kayeoneats@gmail.com if you have any questions on how to make things vegan. I'm sure you know how it's done though, by now. :D

    ReplyDelete