October 18, 2010

Co. Erasga – Shadow Machine Gala

So I consider myself a novice cook. I don’t do fancy things, the most I can do is sauté something and carefully follow advice and instructions on cooking and baking whether it be from my family and friends, or from the food network or other websites. Yes, I have been a cook at a bakery/deli off and on for the last 7 years, but it’s nothing like working at a restaurant, and the kitchen is definitely too small to be mentionable. I also haven’t had any professional training. I guess the biggest achievement as of yet, is when my Cranberry Pear Apple Pie came in first place in the Granville Island Pie Contest. And that’s it!

I’ve done some “catering” before, but it really wasn’t anything that serious. It was just for the student organization I was in during university (American Institute of Architecture Students) during the North East Quad Conference, and at the opening launch party of 325 Magazine, another student run organization. So the only things I really put together were cheese platters, some tortilla wraps, veggies and dip, hummus and pita, a pasta salad, mini hors d’oeuvres, fruit punch and such. Nothing fancy.

Well, this is my biggest under taking yet, as I was asked by my family friend Alvin, to help him cater to his 10 year anniversary Gala Fundraiser for his company Co. ERASGA. I have known him for many years and have had the pleasure of attending his performances marvelling at its breath taking choreography and technique, being moved to tears from Paradis, and laughing hysterically (just during one scene in particular) during She Said. The music paired with his contemporary dance pieces go hand in hand like peas on a pod, and I am a huge fan of his work along with his rapidly growing fan base all around the world. Not only is he an amazing dancer and choreographer, he’s a very down to earth, fun, gentleman with great taste in design and we definitely share an affinity to food. His work is inspired by heritage, culture, gender, identity and speak volumes while working in collaboration with local artists, designers, multimedia artists and musicians, greatly influencing the dance and production industry in Vancouver, and Internationally in Europe and Asia. Visit http://www.companyerasgadance.ca/ 


Performers and Creators:
Choreography:
Alvin Erasga Tolentino
Media Artists: Peter Courtemanche, Ken Gregory, Carol Sawyer
Dancers: Billy Marchenski, Molly McDermott, Jane Osborne, Bevin Poole and Alvin Erasga Tolentino
Venue: W2 Storyeum (151 West Cordova Street, Vancouver)
Dates: October 20, 21, 22, 23 (Gala), 27, 28, 29, 30 2010
Time: 8:00pm
Advance Tickets: Tickets Tonight (604.684.2787) www.ticketstonight.ca

So, not only am I working with an icon in the Vancouver dance and art scene, I am helping him cater to approximately 100 or more people, with a week’s worth of planning. Ahh!! (he doesn’t know I’m a little intimidated by this as I wanted to keep it cool, confident and collected).

What’s on the menu? Well, most everything is going to be catered by the venue (I have no idea what they’re making), so I don’t have to really worry about the big stuff but he wanted a few dishes that we could have to distinguish itself from potentially boring bite size sandwiches and fruit platters and such (I hope I’m pleasantly surprised). I am thinking vegan for the desserts as the people in the dance and arts industry are known to have various dietary restrictions, so I’m trying to keep everyone happy…

I will be making: (These are all outsourced pictures by the way, click on pictures for original website)
  • chicken wings (by his request): 2 kinds- Honey Garlic + Ginger and Panko, Lemon + Herb because everyone loves chicken wings and they’re so good! (If any of you know me personally… You know I’d be happy and most enthusiastic to go anywhere during happy hour for chicken wings and beer. So much so that I have it narrowed down to which places do wings best in Toronto… yeah…)

  • Vegetarian Potstickers : Either store bought from HONS (yeah, I know but I’m short on time!) or I’ll be ambitious and make vegan ones myself… for 100 people though?! ahh!

  • Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes with chocolate coconut ganache

  • Vegan Chocolate Blackout Cake with Vegan Fondant, vegan “butter” cream, raspberries and royal icing decorations. (I’m most nervous about this one)
No it will not look ANYTHING like this, I just thought it was a really cool looking cake!

If the cake comes out as simple and classy as this, I think I’ve succeeded, although I am not planning on putting on any flowers, pink or floral designs… I have been working on the look of the cake, and I assure you, a lot of planning is being done for this! I want the final result to be a surprise for Alvin!
  • and I’ve convinced my boss to donate a few things from the store
Maybe some cocktail sausage rolls, or something of the sort.

Anyways, I have been looking and researching and asking all my friends that have dealt with fondant whether they have a vegan recipe, and nothing as of yet so I’m a little nervous about this. I have actually never worked with fondant before, so this is another thing that’s nerve racking BUT I think I’ve watched enough episodes of Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss to know how it’s supposed to look and feel supplemented by extensive research into how it’s done with tips and tricks. If anyone knows of a vegan fondant recipe, please let me know… if not, I am going to be modifying a recipe I have now, to use agar agar instead of gelatine.

I will keep you posted on the goings on during this very busy week full of planning, piping, testing and baking. Ahh! I thrive off this excitement mixed with stress and nerves!

No comments:

Post a Comment